Summer is in full swing and you know how to consciously choose the perfect watermelon. Now it’s time to experience one of my favorite recipes where watermelon undergoes an amazing transformation when combined with the organic salty, hot and sour flavors of watermelon salad. Each bite is enhanced with with unexpected flavors and textures–every bite is an experience. Please allow this recipe to take you on a trip to the Greek Islands in your mouth:
Serves 4- 6
3-lb slice of ripe seedless watermelon
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 serrano pepper seeded and minced
12 kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
3 ounces (half cup) of cubed or crumbled feta cheese
4 cups of arugula, large stems removed
1/4 cup of thinly sliced fresh mint
1/3 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbs of fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
1/8 himalyan sea salt
3 twists of fresh ground pepper
1. Cube 8 cups of watermelon.
2. Toss watermelon cubes with diced Serrano pepper, quartered olives, sliced green onions and 3/4 of feta cheese. Refrigerate the ingredients together.
3.Tear arugula into 1-inch pieces
4. Toss arugula, mint and parsley in a bowl together.
5. Stir together lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper
6. Mix all of the ingredients together, add dressing and balance of feta cheese on top of salad.
7. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
8. Serve immediately.